Top Tips For Getting Out Of Your Comfort Zone
The only thing that truly grows when you stay in the confines of your comfort zone is your lack of self-belief.
While routine can make you feel safe and in control, they rarely foster growth. It’s important to get out of your comfort zone from time to time as this keeps you from zoning out in your day-to-day.
Getting out of your comfort zone isn’t easy, but it is necessary for personal growth, so we wanted to share some tips on making it a little bit more manageable whilst you build your confidence.
- Recognising your comfort zone – One of the first steps is actually identifying your comfort zone and what currently lies inside it. This can be with certain routines or habits you have, or how you react in certain situations.
- Remember you don’t need to change overnight – For most people, having a dramatic change overnight isn’t the best solution to getting out of your comfort zone. Rather, starting with more manageable steps that are easier to implement into your current routine. A lot of people don’t react well to change, so incorporating small, daily changes will help things to fall into place, and be more sustainable in the long run. By starting small you will give yourself the needed confidence boosts that it takes to eventually tackle the more difficult tasks.
- Goal setting – It is important to set yourself goals when it comes to getting out of your comfort zone. Be specific when setting these goals and break them into smaller, more achievable steps. For example, if your goal is to be able to speak in public at a large event, perhaps start with doing some online speaking at virtual events, and then slowly work your way up to speaking in front of larger audiences in person. Your goals will help you stay accountable on the days when you may be feeling overwhelmed.
- Embrace fear – We know it can be all too easy to say it, and it’s another thing completely to do it, but discomfort is a natural part of growth. By accepting fear, rather than pushing it away your mind will learn that it can overcome difficult things.
- Reframe your mindset – Changing your perspective on how you view challenges is where the real growth happens. Start viewing challenges as opportunities to grow and learn, rather than as threats or inconveniences. Challenge negative self-talk as this will hinder your growth. Remind yourself that what you are doing is courageous and will help you achieve what you desire.
- Learn from your mistakes – The only way you’re going to improve in the long run is by learning from your mistakes. If you continually make the same mistake over and over, you will remain in your comfort zone until the end of time. On the flipside to this, it’s also important to celebrate your small wins. Reinforce your positive mindset by celebrating small achievements as this will help to boost your confidence and progress.
Remember, getting out of your comfort zone isn’t something that happens instantly and it’s perfectly okay to take things at your own pace. However, avoid procrastination because this will only keep you firmly within your comfort zone. Find a balance that works for you and keep yourself accountable throughout your journey.
If you would like to discuss getting out of your comfort zone and entering some awards in 2024, contact us here!
We are here to help with your unique awards journey.